REIT Industry Monthly Data for January 2020
- FTSE Nareit All REITs equity market capitalization = $1.346 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs equity market capitalization = $1.253 trillion
- 219 REITs are in the FTSE Nareit All REITs Index.
- 184 REITs trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
- NYSE listed REITs equity market capitalization = $1.194 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All REITs: 3.99%
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs: 3.63%
- S&P 500: 1.86%
- Listed REITs (equity REITs and mREITs) paid out approximately $56.7 billion and public non-listed REITs paid out approximately $4.9 billion in dividends during 2018.
- On average, 70 percent of the annual dividends paid by REITs qualify as ordinary taxable income, 15 percent qualify as return of capital and 16 percent qualify as long-term capital gains.
Leverage and Coverage Ratios
(Balance sheet data as of Q3 2019)
FTSE Nareit Equity REIT Index
- Debt Ratio: 27.5%
- Coverage Ratio: 4.6x
- Fixed Charge Ratio: 4.3x
- 66 REITs are rated investment grade, 74% by equity market capitalization.
FTSE Nareit All REIT Index
- Debt Ratio: 39.8%
- Coverage Ratio: 3.0x
- Fixed Charge Ratio: 2.8x
- 66 REITs are rated investment grade, 69% by equity market capitalization.
Coverage ratio equals EBITDA divided by interest expense.
Fixed-charge ratio equals EBITDA divided by interest expense plus preferred dividends.
Average Daily Dollar Trading Volume
- January 2020: $7.4 billion
- January 2015: $6.0 billion
- January 2010: $2.8 billion
Data as of January 31, 2020, except where noted.
All data are derived from, and apply only to, listed U.S. REITs unless otherwise noted.