REIT Industry Monthly Data for October 2023
- FTSE Nareit All REITs equity market capitalization = $1.131 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs equity market capitalization = $1.079 trillion
- 200 REITs are in the FTSE Nareit All REITs Index.
- 164 REITs trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
- NYSE listed REITs equity market capitalization = $958.5 billion
- FTSE Nareit All REITs: 5.01%
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs: 4.59%
- S&P 500: 1.61%
- Listed REITs (equity REITs and mREITs) paid out approximately $63.1 billion and public non-listed REITs paid out approximately $6.1 billion in dividends during 2022.
- By market cap-weighted average, 70 percent of the annual dividends paid by REITs qualify as ordinary taxable income, 14 percent qualify as return of capital and 16 percent qualify as long-term capital gains in 2022.
Leverage and Coverage Ratios
(Balance sheet data as of Q2 2023)
All Equity REITs
- Debt Ratio: 34.6%
- Coverage Ratio: 4.5x
Average Daily Dollar Trading Volume
- October 2023: $8.0 billion
- October 2018: $7.5 billion
- October 2013: $5.2 billion
Data as of October 31, 2023, except where noted.
All data are derived from, and apply only to, listed U.S. REITs unless otherwise noted.