REIT Industry Monthly Data for August 2020
- FTSE Nareit All REITs equity market capitalization = $1.177 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs equity market capitalization = $1.115 trillion
- 221 REITs are in the FTSE Nareit All REITs Index.
- 186 REITs trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
- NYSE listed REITs equity market capitalization = $1.105 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All REITs: 4.06%
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs: 3.74%
- S&P 500: 1.61%
- Listed REITs (equity REITs and mREITs) paid out approximately $63.2 billion and public non-listed REITs paid out approximately $3.7 billion in dividends during 2019.
- On average, 70 percent of the annual dividends paid by REITs qualify as ordinary taxable income, 15 percent qualify as return of capital and 16 percent qualify as long-term capital gains.
Leverage and Coverage Ratios
(Balance sheet data as of Q1 2020)
FTSE Nareit Equity REIT Index
- Debt Ratio: 37%
- Coverage Ratio: 4.6x
- Fixed Charge Ratio: 4.2x
- 66 REITs are rated investment grade, 74% by equity market capitalization.
FTSE Nareit All REIT Index
- Debt Ratio: 47.5%
- Coverage Ratio: 2.3x
- Fixed Charge Ratio: 2.2x
- 66 REITs are rated investment grade, 69% by equity market capitalization.
Coverage ratio equals EBITDA divided by interest expense.
Fixed-charge ratio equals EBITDA divided by interest expense plus preferred dividends.
Average Daily Dollar Trading Volume
- August 2020: $6.7 billion
- August 2015: $6.8 billion
- August 2010: $3.1 billion
Data as of August 31, 2020, except where noted.
All data are derived from, and apply only to, listed U.S. REITs unless otherwise noted.