REIT Industry Monthly Data for May 2021
- FTSE Nareit All REITs equity market capitalization = $1.468 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs equity market capitalization = $1.382 trillion
- 221 REITs are in the FTSE Nareit All REITs Index.
- 183 REITs trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
- NYSE listed REITs equity market capitalization = $1.280 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All REITs: 3.16%
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs: 2.91%
- S&P 500: 1.34%
- Listed REITs (equity REITs and mREITs) paid out approximately $63.2 billion and public non-listed REITs paid out approximately $3.7 billion in dividends during 2019.
- By market cap-weighted average, 74 percent of the annual dividends paid by REITs qualify as ordinary taxable income, 13 percent qualify as return of capital and 13 percent qualify as long-term capital gains in 2019.
Leverage and Coverage Ratios
(Balance sheet data as of Q1 2021)
All Equity REITs
- Debt Ratio: 32.8%
- Coverage Ratio: 4.5x
Average Daily Dollar Trading Volume
- May 2021: $8.7 billion
- May 2016: $6.7 billion
- May 2011: $3.3 billion
Data as of May 31, 2021, except where noted.
All data are derived from, and apply only to, listed U.S. REITs unless otherwise noted.