REIT Industry Monthly Data for January 2018
- FTSE Nareit All REITs equity market capitalization = $1.102 trillion.
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs equity market capitalization = $1.030 trillion.
- 225 REITs are in the FTSE Nareit All REITs Index.
- 190 REITs trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
- NYSE listed REITs equity market capitalization = $988.8 billion.
- FTSE Nareit All REITs: 4.41%
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs: 4.07%
- S&P 500: 1.79%
- Listed REITs (equity REITs and mREITs) paid out approximately $55.7 billion and public non-listed REITs paid out approximately $4.4 billion in dividends during 2016.
- On average, 59 percent of the annual dividends paid by REITs qualify as ordinary taxable income, 17 percent qualify as return of capital and 24 percent qualify as long-term capital gains.
Leverage and Coverage Ratios
(Balance sheet data as of Q3 2017)
FTSE Nareit Equity REIT Index
- Debt Ratio: 31.7%
- Coverage Ratio: 4.5x
- Fixed Charge Ratio: 4.1x
- 71 REITs are rated investment grade, 69 percent by equity market capitalization.
FTSE Nareit All REIT Index
- Debt Ratio: 41.9%
- Coverage Ratio: 3.8x
- Fixed Charge Ratio: 3.5x
- 71 REITs are rated investment grade, 65 percent by equity market capitalization.
Coverage ratio equals EBITDA divided by interest expense.
Fixed-charge ratio equals EBITDA divided by interest expense plus preferred dividends.
Average Daily Dollar Trading Volume
- Jan. 2017: $7.7 billion
- Jan. 2012: $4.4 billion
- Jan. 2007: $4.5 billion
Data as of Jan. 31, 2018, except where noted.
All data are derived from, and apply only to, listed U.S. REITs unless otherwise noted.