REIT Industry Monthly Data for July 2020
- FTSE Nareit All REITs equity market capitalization = $1.175 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs equity market capitalization = $1.114 trillion
- 219 REITs are in the FTSE Nareit All REITs Index.
- 186 REITs trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
- NYSE listed REITs equity market capitalization = $1.103 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All REITs: 4.06%
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs: 3.73%
- S&P 500: 1.68%
- Listed REITs (equity REITs and mREITs) paid out approximately $63.2 billion and public non-listed REITs paid out approximately $3.7 billion in dividends during 2019.
- On average, 70 percent of the annual dividends paid by REITs qualify as ordinary taxable income, 15 percent qualify as return of capital and 16 percent qualify as long-term capital gains.
Leverage and Coverage Ratios
(Balance sheet data as of Q1 2020)
FTSE Nareit Equity REIT Index
- Debt Ratio: 37%
- Coverage Ratio: 4.6x
- Fixed Charge Ratio: 4.2x
- 66 REITs are rated investment grade, 74% by equity market capitalization.
FTSE Nareit All REIT Index
- Debt Ratio: 47.5%
- Coverage Ratio: 2.3x
- Fixed Charge Ratio: 2.2x
- 66 REITs are rated investment grade, 69% by equity market capitalization.
Coverage ratio equals EBITDA divided by interest expense.
Fixed-charge ratio equals EBITDA divided by interest expense plus preferred dividends.
Average Daily Dollar Trading Volume
- July 2020: $7.1 billion
- July 2015: $5.5 billion
- July 2010: $3.4 billion
Data as of July 31, 2020, except where noted.
All data are derived from, and apply only to, listed U.S. REITs unless otherwise noted.