REIT Industry Monthly Data for April 2023
- FTSE Nareit All REITs equity market capitalization = $1.274 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs equity market capitalization = $1.217 trillion
- 204 REITs are in the FTSE Nareit All REITs Index.
- 166 REITs trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
- NYSE listed REITs equity market capitalization = $1.087 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All REITs: 4.45%
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs: 4.07%
- S&P 500: 1.58%
- Listed REITs (equity REITs and mREITs) paid out approximately $62.3 billion and public non-listed REITs paid out approximately $5.6 billion in dividends during 2022.
- By market cap-weighted average, 65 percent of the annual dividends paid by REITs qualify as ordinary taxable income, 17 percent qualify as return of capital and 18 percent qualify as long-term capital gains in 2021.
Leverage and Coverage Ratios
(Balance sheet data as of Q4 2022)
All Equity REITs
- Debt Ratio: 33.7%
- Coverage Ratio: 4.5x
Average Daily Dollar Trading Volume
- April 2023: $7.1 billion
- April 2018: $6.7 billion
- April 2013: $4.7 billion
Data as of April 30, 2023, except where noted.
All data are derived from, and apply only to, listed U.S. REITs unless otherwise noted.