REIT Industry Monthly Data for April 2022
- FTSE Nareit All REITs equity market capitalization = $1.564 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs equity market capitalization = $1.490 trillion
- 212 REITs are in the FTSE Nareit All REITs Index.
- 174 REITs trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
- NYSE listed REITs equity market capitalization = $1.345 trillion
- FTSE Nareit All REITs: 3.29%
- FTSE Nareit All Equity REITs: 2.98%
- S&P 500: 1.44%
- Listed REITs (equity REITs and mREITs) paid out approximately $51.7 billion and public non-listed REITs paid out approximately $2.2 billion in dividends during 2020.
- By market cap-weighted average, 58 percent of the annual dividends paid by REITs qualify as ordinary taxable income, 14 percent qualify as return of capital and 28 percent qualify as long-term capital gains in 2020.
Leverage and Coverage Ratios
(Balance sheet data as of Q4 2021)
All Equity REITs
- Debt Ratio: 25.7%
- Coverage Ratio: 6.5x
Average Daily Dollar Trading Volume
- April 2022: $9.5 billion
- April 2017: $6.4 billion
- April 2012: $3.5 billion
Data as of April 33, 2022, except where noted.
All data are derived from, and apply only to, listed U.S. REITs unless otherwise noted.