Nareit DEI Statement
Nareit is steadfastly committed to working with its members to proactively address diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts across the REIT and commercial real estate industry. This includes supporting the recruitment, development, and advancement of Black professionals, other people of color, women, and other underrepresented groups.
Nareit recognizes the real estate industry’s historical record of falling short in terms of gender and racial diversity. Together, Nareit and its members are actively engaged in changing that reality.
While there are many steps that need to be taken to remove barriers to inclusion and equity that continue to exist, one way the REIT industry is already working together is through Nareit’s Dividends Through Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DDEI) initiative, which:
- Expands knowledge about successful practices for developing, implementing and enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) policies and programs;
- Provides education and information to supplement career development of diverse groups;
- Works with more than a dozen third party recruiters to support the candidacy of members of diverse groups for REIT management ranks and corporate boards;
- Builds a community of Nareit members who support this initiative; and
- Facilitates Nareit events, or sessions within larger events, when DEI issues are discussed.
- For example, Nareit held its inaugural REITworks conference in late September to convene leaders from inside and outside the industry to share best practices, case studies and discuss trends in ESG, with specific sessions dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Additional actions designed to improve diversity and inclusion practices in the REIT and publicly traded real estate industry are underway, and DEI will continue to be a strategic priority for Nareit and its Executive Board in 2021.