This Initiative seeks to achieve our mission for REITs and the broader commercial real estate industry through:
- Expanding knowledge about successful practices for developing, implementing and enhancing diversity and inclusion (D & I) policies and programs;
- Providing education and information to supplement career development of women and members of other diverse groups;
- Building a community of men and women in Nareit who support this initiative; and
- Facilitating Nareit events, or sessions within larger events, when D & I issues are discussed.
- Host an annual forum to provide valuable information to Nareit members about D & I issues. These forums will feature nationally-known speakers on D & I issues and career development, industry leaders from diverse groups, as well as Nareit members.
- Hold networking receptions and/or programs in conjunction with REITwise, REITweek, REITworld, and the ESG Forum.
- Curate and share studies and reports about women and members of other diverse groups working in commercial real estate and serving on REIT boards of directors, as well as other relevant articles and studies about D & I in the U.S. and the global commercial real estate industry.
- Commission and produce research relating to D & I in the REIT and commercial real estate industry.
- Connect senior Nareit women and members of other diverse groups who are interested and available to serve on public-company boards, including REITs and REOCs, with search firms doing REIT and REOC board searches.
- Facilitate meetings with leading commercial real estate associations to explore opportunities to share information and to collaborate on D & I matters.
- Present annual awards to a Nareit individual and member company. See below.
- Consider creating a DTD mentorship program within Nareit.
Nareit’s Diversity & Inclusion Recognition Awards honor both a Nareit member company and an individual member who have demonstrated a strong commitment and made outstanding contributions to the advancement of diversity and inclusion within their companies as well as in the REIT and publicly traded real estate industry.
Sponsored by Nareit and conducted by FPL Associates L.P., this annual survey provides insight into what REITs are doing with regard to diversity & inclusion (D&I), including recruitment, retention, promotion, training, and any external D&I activities.
The Dividends Through Diversity and Inclusion Initiative’s Steering Committee is made up of the following Nareit members:
- Diane Morefield, CFO, CyrusOne Inc. and Co-Chair of the Steering Committee
- Mary Hogan-Preusse, Founder and Principal, Sturgis Partners LLC and Co-Chair of the Steering Commitee
- Sherry Rexroad, Managing Director-Global REITs, BlackRock and Co-Chair of the Steering Commitee
- Angela Aman, CFO, Brixmor Property Group Inc
- Gemma Burgess, Managaing Director, Ferguson Partners Ltd.
- Sherry Cefali, Managing Director, Duff & Phelps
- Kelly Cheng, Director, Barclays
- William Ferguson, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer, Ferguson Partners Ltd.
- Leslie Hale, CEO, RLJ Lodging Trust
- Lisa Kaufman, Global CEO, Managing Director, LaSalle Investment Management Securities, LLC
- Sheila McGrath, Sr. Managing Director, Evercore ISI
- Marguerite M. Nader, President & CEO, Equity Lifestyle Properties, Inc.
- Martin (Hap) Stein, Jr., Chairman & CEO, Regency Centers Corporation
- Tracy Ward, SVP, Investor Relations & Corporate Communications, Prologis, Inc.
The Dividends Through Diversity and Inclusion Initiative’s Action Team is made up of the following Nareit members:
- Jenny Bean, SVP-HR, Duke Realty Corporation
- Edmund Brady, III, SVP & Chief HR Officer, Ventas, Inc.
- Pam Byrne, VP, Human Capital, Welltower
- Leah Landro, VP-HR, Kimco Realty Corporation
- Carolyn Carter Singh, EVP-Chief Talent Officer, Brixmor Property Group Inc.
- Kellie Teal Guess, EVP, Chief People Officer, CyrusOne
- Tracy Ward, SVP, Investor Relations, Prologis, Inc.
Nareit’s Senior Vice President, Industry Affairs & Strategic Initiatives, Bonnie Gottlieb, is Nareit’s liaison to this Initiative.