Tim Bodner, global and U.S. real estate deals leader at PwC, was a guest on the latest episode of the REIT Report podcast.
Bodner commented on the current state of real estate transaction activity, how different property segments are faring, opportunities amid today’s challenging environment, strategies being used to get deals done, and more.
During the interview, Bodner noted that:
- It’s a “much more challenging” deal environment today than it was previously.
- Pockets of strength are emerging across the real estate landscape, including logistics, self-storage, areas of the hospitality sector, experiential real estate, and even office.
- The most important factor in terms of getting deals done today is the stability of the underlying trends that are driving activity in a particular sector.
- Deal activity on a more substantive basis could emerge in tandem with stability around the direction of interest rates.
- Creative financing options are emerging today, given that traditional financial institutions such as regional banks and insurance companies “are a little bit more skittish on doing deals for a range of reasons.”