The first complete quarterly measure of the U.S. listed REIT industry’s operating and dividend performance
NAREIT’s Total REIT Industry Tracker Series – the NAREIT T-Tracker® – is the first quarterly performance measure of the heartbeat of the U.S. listed REIT industry. The series includes three key REIT industry measures: the NAREIT FFO Tracker, which monitors equity REIT Funds From Operations; the NAREIT NOI Tracker, which reports the equity REIT industry’s Net Operating Income; and the NAREIT Dividend Tracker, which monitors the dividends U.S. listed equity and mortgage REITs pay to their shareholders.
Key Takeaways For Q4 2016
- Total FFO of the listed U.S Equity REIT industry was $14.7 billion in the fourth quarter of 2016, up 7.4 percent from $13.7 billion in the third quarter of 2016. Total FFO rose 20.5 percent over the fourth quarter of 2015.
- Total Equity REIT NOI was $21.9 billion in fourth quarter of 2016, up from $21.6 billion in prior quarter. NOI was 5.9 percent higher than one year earlier.
- The top-performing Equity REIT property segments on a Same-Store NOI basis in the fourth quarter of 2016 were: Self Storage (5.9 percent); Manufactured homes (5.6 percent); Data Centers (4.5 percent); and Industrial (4.9 percent).
- Dividends paid by both Equity and Mortgage REITs totaled $12.2 billion, a 4.2 percent increase from the fourth quarter of 2015.
- The occupancy rate of properties owned by of all listed Equity REITs reached a new record high of 94.5 percent in the fourth quarter of 2016. This is 81basis points higher than the occupancy rate in the prior quarter, and 123 basis points above one year ago.
“Real estate fundamentals remain strong. Occupancy rates of properties owned by REITs jumped 81 basis points from last quarter, and both headline FFO growth and same-store NOI are solid,” said Calvin Schnure, NAREIT’s Senior Vice President of Research & Economic Analysis. “This real estate cycle still has room to run, with net absorption outpacing the current pipeline of new development.”
- Q3 2016 Charts (pdf)
- Q3 2016 Data (xlsx)
- Q2 2016 Charts (pdf)
- Q2 2016 Data (xlsx)
- Q1 2016 Charts (pdf)
- Q1 2016 Data (xlsx)
- Q4 2015 Charts (pdf)
- Q4 2015 Data (xlsx)
- Q3 2015 Charts (pdf)
- Q3 2015 Data (xlsx)
- Q2 2015 Charts (pdf)
- Q2 2015 Data (xlsx)
- Q1 2015 Charts (pdf)
- Q1 2015 Data (xlsx)
The NAREIT Total Equity REIT Industry Tracker Series (NAREIT T-Tracker) is provided for informational, non-commercial purposes only. The T-Tracker data are not intended to constitute investment advice of any kind and may not be relied on as such. Historical data and analysis do not predict future performance. Data is provided "as is" and NAREIT does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, non-infringement, originality, timeliness or any other characteristic of the T-Tracker data.
This information is solely educational in nature and is not intended by NAREIT to serve as the primary basis for any investment decision. NAREIT is not acting as an investment adviser, investment fiduciary, broker, dealer or other market participant, and no offer or solicitation to buy or sell any security or real estate investment is being made. Investments and solicitations for investment must be made directly through an agent, employee or representative of a particular investment or fund and cannot be made through NAREIT. NAREIT does not allow any agent, employee or representative to personally solicit any investment or accept any monies to be invested in a particular security or real estate investment.
All REIT data are derived from, and apply only to, publicly traded securities. While such data are believed to be reliable when prepared or provided, such data are subject to change or restatement. NAREIT does not warrant or guarantee such data for accuracy or completeness, and shall not be liable under any legal theory for such data or any errors or omissions therein. See http://reit.com/TermsofUse.aspx for important information regarding this data, the underlying assumptions and the limitations of NAREIT’s liability therefor, all of which are incorporated by reference herein.
Performance results are provided only as a barometer or measure of past performance, and future values will fluctuate from those used in the underlying data. Any investment returns or performance data (past, hypothetical or otherwise) shown herein or in such data are not necessarily indicative of future returns or performance.