Income investors continued to find REITs attractive in the first quarter of 2017. On March 31, the dividend yield of the FTSE NAREIT Mortgage REITs Index was 9.87 percent, with Home Financing REITs yielding 10.52 percent and Commercial Financing REITs yielding 7.79 percent.
The dividend yield of the FTSE NAREIT All Equity REITs Index was 3.85 percent on March 31, and seven Equity REIT market segments had yields higher than the index. The Specialty REIT segment’s 5.85 percent dividend yield was the highest among Equity REITs. Other sectors with dividend yields higher than the index were:
- Health Care: 5.17 percent
- Lodging/Resorts: 5.04 percent
- Free Standing Retail: 4.70 percent
- Diversified: 4.49 percent
- Regional Malls: 4.35 percent
- Shopping Centers: 4.14 percent