Tom Bartlett, president and CEO of American Tower Corp. (NYSE: AMT), was a guest on the latest episode of Nareit’s REIT Report podcast.
Bartlett discussed American Tower’s recently launched Sustainability Report and provided an overview of the REIT’s broader sustainability strategy. He explained that “neutral hosting” is central to the company’s inherently sustainable business model. “Neutral hosting allows multiple customers to lease space on a shared single tower or asset, which reduces the number of sites required and minimizes the industry's overall environmental impact”, he said.
Beyond providing digital infrastructure, Bartlett noted that American Tower’s global presence enables it to play “a significant role in fostering connectivity in a responsible, equitable, and sustainable way to realize our vision of building a more connected world.”
The CEO outlined highlights of American Tower’s ESG strategy, which makes a strong commitment to people, the planet, and the communities in which it operates.
Some of the key points Bartlett made during the interview include:
- The deployment of next generation networks not only ensures efficient connectivity, but also contributes to the decarbonization of operations for customers.
- This year, American Tower has set a target to increase on-site renewable energy generation by 40% globally compared to 2022.
- American Tower has partnered with organizations around the world to open 445 digital communities in 15 countries, bridging the digital divide and impacting the lives of more than 400,000 people.
- American Tower empowers employees with skill sets and knowledge. In 2022, the company invested over $5 million in employee development programs, marking a 23% increase compared to 2021.
- American Tower is committed to inclusivity at every organizational level, including the board of directors and leadership team.