Nareit is focused on bringing the CRE industry together to advance ESG.
REITs and the broader commercial real estate industry are a community of interests tied to the land and the structures on the land, so it’s increasingly important for all entities to come together to share guidance and resources in support of ESG practices, goals, and progress. Nareit’s recent activity includes:
- Nareit’s Practical Reference for ESG Implementation and Reporting – Released to the CRE industry in September; provides actionable guidance as well as helpful tools to enable effective ESG management and disclosure.
- 2021 REIT Industry ESG Report – Published June 2021; details the state of sustainability efforts publicly traded U.S. REIT industry industry.
- REITworks Conference – In Sept. 2021, Nareit convened REIT industry and CRE leaders for its second-annual REITworks conference. With ESG impacting nearly every role today, the agenda delivered actionable, educational programming on a myriad of topics. The next REITworks conference is scheduled for September 12-13, 2022
To increase the visibility and appeal of a career in the REIT industry with diverse talent, Nareit is building strategic partnerships and enhancing its editorial content.
Under the leadership of its newly formed Dividends Through Diversity, Equity and Inclusion CEO Council (representing more than 30 CEOs from across REIT sectors) and its Social Responsibility Council (made up of 50-plus human resources, operations, DEI leaders), Nareit has put additional focus on educational and career development opportunities. New initiatives include:
- Foundations: REIT and Commercial Real Estate Internship Program – A pilot program between Nareit, Urban Land Institute, and Fannie Mae’s Future Housing Leaders Program that provides education, training, a paid 10-week internship, and a path to employment at real estate investment trusts or commercial real estate companies for a select number of college students from diverse backgrounds. Students may apply through Oct. 11.
- REITalent Series – Spotlights professionals with various roles and career paths within the REIT industry; featuring interviews with female C-suite, executives, rising star talent, ESG leaders, and others.
Download Nareit ESG Fall 2021 Update PDF.