All Equity REIT market segments had negative total returns in October, but almost all were in positive territory in the first ten months of the year, with eight segments producing double-digit returns.
Industrial was the top-performing Equity REIT market segment, up 26.71 percent in the first ten months of 2016. The Industrial sector benefitted from the continuing growth of e-commerce. Many online retailers and shippers rely on Industrial REITs’ logistics facilities for the distribution of their products.
Other Equity REIT market segments with double-digit total returns in the year through October were:
- Single Family Homes, up 26.63 percent
- Data Centers, up 22.19 percent
- Free Standing Retail, up 21.31 percent
- Infrastructure, up 18.30 percent
- Manufactured Homes, up 15.81 percent
- Specialty, up 11.27 percent
- Health Care, up 11.18 percent
Mortgage REIT market segments also delivered double-digit returns in the year through October, with Home Financing REITs up 22.44 percent and Commercial Financing REITs up 12.91 percent.