Data is a crucial resource when evaluating any industry. REIT.com provides an array of industry data from NAREIT as well as other providers.
REIT Industry Fact Sheet
Data as of June 30, 2015, except where noted.
All data are derived from, and apply only to, publicly traded US REITs.
- FTSE NAREIT All REITs equity market capitalization = $890 billion
- FTSE NAREIT All Equity REITs equity market capitalization = $826 billion
- REITs own approximately $1.7 trillion of commercial real estate assets, including stock exchange-listed and public, non-listed REITs
- 224 REITs are in the FTSE NAREIT All REITs Index
- 195 REITs trade on the New York Stock Exchange
- NYSE listed REITs equity market capitalization = $838 billion
- FTSE NAREIT All REITs: 4.34%
- FTSE NAREIT All Equity REITs: 3.87%
- S&P 500: 2.10%
- Stock exchange-listed REITs paid out approximately $42 billion and public non-listed REITs paid out approximately $4 billion in dividends during 2014.
- On average, 68 percent of the annual dividends paid by REITs qualify as ordinary taxable income, 13 percent qualify as return of capital and 19 percent qualify as long-term capital gains.
Leverage and Coverage Ratios
(Balance sheet data as of Q4 2014)
- Debt Ratio: 32.3%
- Coverage Ratio: 4.5x
- Fixed Charge Ratio: 4.1x
- 46 Equity REITs are rated investment grade, 68 percent by equity market capitalization.
- Debt Ratio: 43.5%
- Coverage Ratio: 3.6x
- Fixed Charge Ratio: 3.3x
- 46 REITs are rated investment grade, 62 percent by equity market capitalization.
- Coverage ratio equals EBITDA divided by interest expense.
- Fixed charge ratio equals EBITDA divided by interest expense plus preferred dividends.
Average Daily Dollar Trading Volume
- June 2015: $6.7 billion
- June 2010: $4.1 billion
- June 2005: $1.6 billion