REITs Recognized for Achievement in Sustainability
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Nov. 10, 2021) – Nareit is proud to present the 16th annual Nareit Leader in the Light Awards to REITs that have demonstrated outstanding sustainability practices in 2021. This year’s awards include eight property sector awards and one individual leadership award. The 2021 Leader in the Light Awards are based on the results of the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB) Annual Survey, as well as scored responses to supplemental questions by outside judges.
“The advancement of sustainability in all of its facets, including environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and good governance is a core component of the REIT industry and is increasingly important to our communities and investors,” said Nareit President and CEO Steven A. Wechsler. “We applaud the way our members continue to navigate their business practices through an ESG lens.”
The eight property sector award winners are:
- Data Centers: Digital Realty (NYSE: DLR)
- Diversified: JBG SMITH (NYSE: JBGS)
- Health Care: Ventas, Inc. (NYSE: VTR)
- Industrial: Prologis, Inc. (NYSE: PLD)
- Office: Kilroy Realty Corporation (NYSE: KRC)
- Residential: AvalonBay Communities, Inc. (NYSE: AVB)
- Retail: Brookfield Properties (NASDAQ: BPY)
- Self-storage: Extra Space Storage, Inc. (NYSE: EXR)
Dan Egan, SVP, energy and sustainability for Vornado Realty Trust (NYSE: VNO), was presented with the Leadership Personified award.
During a spotlight session at Nareit’s REITworld Conference, representatives from award-winning organizations will speak about the evolution of ESG in the last 18 months, goals for 2022 and beyond, and top ESG issues to watch in the coming year. Complimentary registration for the conference, including this session – taking place today – is available.
The 2021 Leader in the Light Awards were determined by an interdisciplinary panel of judges that included:
- Billy Grayson, executive director, ULI Center for Sustainability
- Megan Litke, director, sustainability programs, Office of Sustainability, American University
- Cliff Majersik, senior advisor, policy & programs, Institute for Market Transformation
- Maria Vargas, senior program advisor, U.S. Department of Energy
“We are delighted to recognize our members who are setting an example for how REITs can institutionalize ESG within their business management and operations,” said Fulya Kocak, senior vice president, ESG issues, Nareit. “We are thankful for the time the judges spent on this program and for their ongoing commitment to evaluating the impact and sustainability practices of REITs.”