NAREIT's team of economists and data specialists conducts research regularly on a wide variety of topics relevant to real estate investors including:
- listed REIT returns, volatility, and correlations with other assets;
- real estate market fundamentals including construction, rent growth, and occupancy levels;
- macroeconomic fundamentals including employment, consumer spending, and household formation;
- performance of institutional private equity real estate investments; and
- diversification benefits of listed REITs and private equity real estate.
NAREIT regularly sponsors projects conducted by:
- outside research organizations including Wilshire, Morningstar, and CEM Benchmarking; and
- academic researchers and research centers such as the MIT Center for Real Estate.
NAREIT compiles and disseminates third-party research including:
- research reports by investment consultants, investment managers, and other industry participants; and
- research studies conducted independently by university-based researchers, in many cases prior to their publication in academic journals.