REITs Recognized for Achievement in Sustainability
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Nov. 16, 2022) – Nareit presented the 17th annual Nareit Leader in the Light Awards at its REITworld: 2022 Annual Conference in San Francisco. This award is given to REITs that have demonstrated outstanding sustainability practices throughout the year.
This year’s awards include nine property sector awards and one individual leadership award. The 2022 Leader in the Light Awards are based on the results of the GRESB Annual Survey, as well as scored responses to supplemental questions by outside judges.
“The advancement of sustainability in all of its facets, including environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and good governance is a core component of the REIT and publicly traded real estate industry and is increasingly vital to communities and investors,” said Nareit President and CEO Steven A. Wechsler. “We applaud our members’ continued commitment to navigating their business strategies and practices through a sustainability lens.”
The nine property sector award winners are:
- Data Centers: Digital Realty (NYSE: DLR)
- Diversified: Vornado Realty Trust (NYSE: VNO)
- Health Care: Ventas, Inc. (NYSE: VTR)
- Hospitality: Park Hotels & Resorts (NYSE: PK)
- Industrial: Prologis, Inc. (NYSE: PLD)
- Office: BXP (NYSE: BXP) and Hudson Pacific Properties, Inc. (NYSE: HPP)
- Residential: AvalonBay Communities, Inc. (NYSE: AVB)
- Retail: Kimco Realty Corporation (NYSE: KIM) and Simon Property Group, Inc. (NYSE: SPG)
- Self-storage: Extra Space Storage, Inc. (NYSE: EXR)
Kelly Meissner, Vice President, Corporate ESG & Sustainability for Ventas, Inc., was presented with the Leadership Personified award for her leadership in sustainability/ESG and for creating a positive influence within her organization and the REIT industry at large. Since 2017, “Leadership Personified” has been presented to an individual for his/her leadership in sustainability based on peer nominations.
The 2022 Leader in the Light Awards were determined by an interdisciplinary panel of judges that included:
- Nils Kok, Professor in Real Estate Finance, Maastricht University
- Jessica Long, Senior Director, Head of Sustainability, Americas, Nuveen
- Cliff Majersik, Senior Advisor, Institute for Market Transformation
- Chris Pyke, Senior Vice President, Product, Arc Skoru, Inc.
“We are thrilled to recognize our members who are setting an example for how REITs both can and should institutionalize ESG within their business management and operations,” said Fulya Kocak, Senior Vice President, ESG issues, Nareit. “We are thankful for the time the judges spent on this program and for their continued commitment to assessing the broader impact and sustainability practices of REITs.”