11/17/2020 | By Jane Dollinger
Comprised of CEOs representing every segment of the REIT industry
WASHINGTON, D.C., (Nov. 17, 2020) — Nareit announced the formation of its Dividends Through Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DDEI) CEO Council to lead the REIT industry’s efforts in advancing actionable and sustainable plans that support the recruitment, inclusion, development, and advancement of women, Black professionals, other people of color, ethnically diverse individuals, and members of other under-represented groups in REITs and the publicly traded real estate industry.
The DDEI CEO Council is made up of 29 REIT CEOs, who collectively represent every segment of the REIT industry. The council is chaired by Thomas Baltimore of Park Hotels & Resorts, Inc., Debra Cafaro of Ventas, Inc., and A. William Stein of Digital Realty. All three are past chairs of Nareit.
In addressing the 2,500 registrants at Nareit’s REITworld: 2020 Annual Conference, Stein said, “The mission of the DDEI CEO Council is to address – at the highest level – the key issues and opportunities related to diversity, equity and inclusion in the REIT and publicly traded real estate industry. The council will provide Nareit’s leadership with recommendations to help further the association’s and the industry’s progress in this crucial area.”
Founding members of the DDEI CEO Council include:
- Thomas Baltimore, Park Hotels & Resorts, Inc. – Co-Chair
- Thomas Bartlett, American Tower Corporation
- Christopher Benjamin, Alexander & Baldwin, Inc.
- Byron Boston, Dynex Capital, Inc.
- Debra Cafaro, Ventas, Inc. – Co-Chair
- James Connor, Duke Realty Corporation
- Victor Coleman, Hudson Pacific Properties, Inc.
- Tamara Fischer, National Storage Affiliates
- Conor Flynn, Kimco Realty Corporation
- Leslie Hale, RLJ Lodging Trust
- Thomas Herzog, Healthpeak Properties, Inc.
- Jackson Hsieh, Spirit Realty Capital
- W. Matthew Kelly, JBG SMITH
- Brian Kingston, Brookfield Property Partners
- Hamid Moghadam, Prologis, Inc.
- Marguerite Nader, Equity LifeStyle Properties, Inc.
- Timothy Naughton, AvalonBay Communities, Inc.
- Lisa Palmer, Regency Centers Corporation
- Mark Parrell, Equity Residential
- Edward Pitoniak, VICI Properties, Inc.
- James Risoleo, Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc.
- Sumit Roy, Realty Income Corporation
- Joseph Russell, Jr., Public Storage
- Michael Schall, Essex Property Trust, Inc.
- A. William Stein, Digital Realty – Co-Chair
- Devin Stockfish, Weyerhaeuser
- Dallas Tanner, Invitation Homes
- Owen Thomas, Boston Properties, Inc.
- Donald Wood, Federal Realty Investment Trust
The announcement of the DDEI CEO Council comes on the heels of Nareit bringing its new SVP, industry affairs and social responsibility, Nathaalie Carey, onboard to join its leadership team.
Carey, who joined Nareit this month, is responsible for several key priorities: social aspects of ESG in the REIT community, including initiatives related to diversity, equity and inclusion; REIT industry affairs; and international organizational outreach, which consists of overseeing Nareit’s strategic global alliances and relationships.
Carey manages DDEI and will be the Nareit liaison to the DDEI CEO Council, together with Nareit President and CEO Steven A. Wechsler.
Information about Nareit’s DDEI and the DDEI CEO Council is available at www.reit.com/nareit/dividends-through-diversity-equity-inclusion-initiative .