All NAREIT publicly traded or public, non-listed Corporate Member companies (equity and mortgage REITs and REOCs based within or outside the U.S.) automatically are entered in the NAREIT Investor Care Contest as long as they have a Web site. Each Annual Report posted on a member REIT’s Web site is automatically eligible for consideration in both Annual Report categories – Presentation & Design and Management Discussion & Analysis. In addition, each Web site is automatically eligible for consideration in the Web site category. In each of the three categories, the judges choose only one winner.
Presentation & Design
The presentation and design category is focused on the creative presentation of the Annual Report as it relates to the overall theme and message of the piece. Factors considered are:
· Effective use of design tools – how well does the company use graphics, photography, and illustrations to support the theme of the Report?
· Text treatment – how effectively is text incorporated into the visual pattern of the Report?
· Original approach – how well does the design of the Report set it apart from other Reports?
· Cohesiveness of design – is there a unifying visual theme that is carried through the entire Report?
· Overall visual appeal – does the Report serve to integrate both design and text into a piece that creates a positive impression of the company?
Management Discussion & Analysis
The management discussion and analysis category is focused on the effectiveness with which management is able to present a clear and concise summary of the company’s market position over the past year through their discussion of financial performance, corporate strategy, and external conditions. Sections examined are:
· The letter to shareholders;
· Management’s discussion and analysis of performance;
· Footnotes to financial data;and
· Special disclosures pertaining to developments or occurrences during the year
The website category is focused on the creative presentation of the Web site as it relates to the mission and goals of the company as well as the company’s real estate sector. Factors considered are:
· Effective use of design—how well does the company use graphics, photography, video clips and technological innovations to support the theme of the site?
· Ease of use—how easy is it to find information, including the Annual Reports, and to move from one section of the site to another? Quality of content—how much information is available, and how useful is it?
· Original approach—how well does the overall design set the site apart from others?